Voxelmanip Forums
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2023-08-16 13:53 Link | ID: 675
Curious to see what people here think of it. I haven't tried it personally.

In particular, I also want to know what kind of parity it has towards any specific 'version' of Minecraft (i.e. what version of that game it could be compared to), and whether it has lua scripts that would be able to bring back things like 1.7.3 health system :P

OH and are there any decent servers for it?
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2023-08-16 20:52 Link | ID: 676
MineClone 2 used to target Minecraft 1.12 a while back, leading to a fork called MineClone 5 being created which added features from newer versions. Now most of MCL5 has been merged into MCL2, and they're not targeting any version and try their best to stay up-to-date with the latest version of Minecraft. There is also the Mineclonia fork which compared to MCL2's now break-neck speed wants to focus on stability and quality rather than throwing everything into the pot all at once.

From a player's perspective MineClone 2 is good I suppose, assuming it runs well on your system. From a quick glance it recreates a lot of Minecraft gameplay and features... some more accurately than others. I haven't tried redstone myself, but from what I've heard it's essentially just Mesecons and not the most accurate thing. It depends on how picky you are I suppose.

From a technical perspective though it's a mess. The codebase is extremely large, unwieldy, and there's clearly not enough developers on the project to maintain it all. It started out as a mod soup (Minetest Game as base, and throwing mods on top to flesh out the game in a Minecraft-like direction), is today completely incompatible with MTG but still keeps a lot of legacy from it.

That being said though nothing beats the original, and MineClone will just stand in the shadow of Minecraft no matter how hard it tries, cloning the good as well as the bad from Minecraft.
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2023-08-17 06:02 (edited 2023-08-17 06:03) Link | ID: 679
I quite like the redone assets actually, kind of reminds me of FreeDOOM in that regard. The music in particular stands out to me as being especially well-done, I could see someone making a resource pack for the base game that adds them in. (I really hate the pig death SFX though, it sounds brutal... then again I feel that way about MC's one too...)

And well, yeah, I don't really see the project as being intended to 'overtake' Minecraft, it's merely meant to provide a FOSS clone of it.