Voxelmanip Forums
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-12-30 22:00 Link | ID: 611
So in case you don't already know, previously I've had a pretty old computer. It certainly showed its age, having a Phenom processor from two decades ago and generally being a bit of a pain in the arse.

But, no more. Yesterday I put it together after all the parts arrived, and got to work setting it up, installing all my packages and moving over my home folder.

Most important thing for me is the Ryzen 5 5600. Plenty of threads to go around for compiling stuff quickly, very useful.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2023-01-02 22:55 Link | ID: 614
Another pair of 8GB sticks came in the mail today. After having to rotate my heatsink and then installing them into my 2 remaining memory slots I now have a whopping 32GB of RAM! Surely that's enough for a couple Firefox tabs! :D

Umm, in actuality, I wanted it so I could run VMs alongside Android Studio and everything for... development purposes, and without OOMing. The memory sticks were fairly cheap anyways, so it was pretty worthwhile.
olive olive
Posted on 2023-01-03 18:36 Link | ID: 616
In that first screenshot you've 𝑒 times as much RAM than me, within 0.04% :)
I only upgraded to 6GB from 4GB recently…
(and I'm slightly confused why it's 6GB and not 6GiB, I thought memory came in 1024s?)

Feel free to boo me for… the majority of things in the list.
luatic luatic
Posted on 2023-01-03 21:00 Link | ID: 619
"and I'm slightly confused why it's 6GB and not 6GiB, I thought memory came in 1024s?"

That would indeed be reasonable, but I assume that once again the reason is money: Manufacturing 6 GB simply costs less than manufacturing 6 GiB, but markets itself about as well ;)
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2023-07-01 03:49 Link | ID: 648
Hardly in this day and age, surely? We're not exactly in the ages of 640K anymore after all...
luatic luatic
Posted on 2023-07-01 13:55 Link | ID: 649
Hardly in this day and age, surely? We're not exactly in the ages of 640K anymore after all...
I would assume costs to scale linearly with the amount of memory cells manufactured. 6e9 / (6*1024^3) is roughly 0.9313. That is, I would assume you can save about 7% manufacturing cost by manufacturing 6 GB rather than 6 GiB, and those Windows users won't be able to tell the difference anyways ;)
KodeWithMiggy KodeWithMiggy
Posted on 2023-12-31 22:55 (edited 2023-12-31 22:55) Link | ID: 745
"and I'm slightly confused why it's 6GB and not 6GiB, I thought memory came in 1024s?"

That would indeed be reasonable, but I assume that once again the reason is money: Manufacturing 6 GB simply costs less than manufacturing 6 GiB, but markets itself about as well ;)
When talking about memory, KB, MB, GB, etc. almost always signify the binary units, not the decimal ones. KiB, MiB, GiB, etc. haven't been widely adopted by the industry, and are not really used that often outside of free software/GNU/Linux/BSD circles.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2024-03-14 18:18 Link | ID: 751
Indeed, "normies" don't really understand the difference between powers of 10 or powers of 2 data prefixes which is partially due to WIndows confusing people about the difference by using the latter but calling it the former. In the Linux world I've always seen it being used more honestly, like Dolphin shows filesizes in e.g. MiB and actually calls it that.