Voxelmanip Forums
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-11-03 13:12 Link | ID: 543
can't install/test gyargh because you forced people to use a linux shell to install the damn thing. I wanted to do testing on wampp win7

Try not to fall into the classic acmlmboard trap of 'it worked for my setup, so everyone else's use case /dev environment is clearly the same'
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-11-03 19:41 (edited 2022-11-03 19:43) Link | ID: 547
I literally told you Composer is not something that's somehow exclusive to Linux, it exists on Windows too: https://getcomposer.org/Composer-Setup.exe

Back when I was using Windows the installer autodetected my WAMP install and used PHP from there to run Composer. It's not that difficult. Then there's of course also Sass stylesheets that need to be compiled, and similarily Dart Sass exists for Windows. Just because Windows isn't developer friendly and has it all at your fingertips in a package manager doesn't mean it's not possible.

When it's not pre-alpha quality software, this would of course all be prepared in a distribution package for people to download and push to a server, preferrably without the need for external utils.
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-11-04 16:41 (edited 2022-11-04 16:42) Link | ID: 548
i posted this before I asked you on discord lol

also to be completely fair, this would also apply to anyone using a shared hosting provider btw, many of which don't allow shell_exec() commands for security reasons/don't provide some kind of terminal
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-11-04 20:44 Link | ID: 552
i posted this before I asked you on discord lol
Ah yeah I figured so.

also to be completely fair, this would also apply to anyone using a shared hosting provider btw, many of which don't allow shell_exec() commands for security reasons/don't provide some kind of terminal
Back when I would throw web toys onto Blyathosts I would keep a local dev environment where I have full access to various tools, and when I want to update the site I would ship that to production over FTP, excluding the production config which would have different SQL credentials and such.

But yeah, providing a prepared distribution package that can just be pushed directly onto a shared hosting environment would be the easiest for most people who just want a forum somewhere and do not feel the need to work on it locally. e.g. phpBB does this, their distribution packages contains phpBB with Composer libraries preinstalled, any other source preparations, and with development-related things such as unit tests or dev tools excluded from the archive.
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-11-05 19:11 Link | ID: 562
Off-topic: put a wordfilter on 'infinityfree' that changes it to 'blyathost clone' lol
Compa (post deleted) ID: 643