Voxelmanip Forums
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-16 00:01 Link | ID: 252
I'm surprised roller didn't make an entire forum for his beloved arch... so i'm making this thread.

Call me a n00b but I always loved debian xfce + the customisation options made to match the OOTB of xubuntu, it feels comfy. Xfce should probs switch to qt though as gtk is likely gonna become less and less viable for them somewhere down the line .
Heredos Heredos
Posted on 2022-07-16 08:31 Link | ID: 258
i understand that one can love debian as it's package manager is convenient and it comes pre-bloated with everything you'd need for a server.
yet, i don't think it is a suitable choice for desktops but that's just my point.
about xfce though, there are clearly better alternatives out there...
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-16 09:07 Link | ID: 263
I'm surprised roller didn't make an entire forum for his beloved arch... so i'm making this thread.
Heh true why did I not think of this thread :eyeshift:

Yeah so as you all already know I use arch btw xDDDD
Danil_2461 Danil_2461
Posted on 2022-07-16 09:08 Link | ID: 265
lxqt! its really nice, and mimics xfce in many ways, but uses qt (as stated in its name). ive used it for a long time with openbox, and the speed they two offer is very good.
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-07-16 15:34 (edited 2022-07-16 15:35) Link | ID: 277
I'll check it out at some point. I always liked LXDE but felt it was a bit barebones.

Then again I really love XFCE's screenshot tool and CD burning software, oh and Mousepad for text editing too.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-16 20:51 (edited 2022-07-16 20:52) Link | ID: 283
Yeah LXQt is a pretty nice lightweight DE. I use it on my laptop and in VMs, although sometimes it feels... empty, like there's something missing from it. For my desktop I use KDE Plasma though, but with the compositor disabled which basically makes it snappier and minimally resource intensive, but even then it's still kinda large and heavy for what I need.

My holy grail would probably be a lightweight floating WM that's completely independent and has decent support for Qt and GTK theming (basically... the Plasma desktop but smol). But everything I've tried kinda sucks so I'm sticking to Plasma for lack of better options.
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-08-02 17:30 (edited 2022-08-02 17:30) Link | ID: 422
I mean, the name suits you and danil, it has qt in it... UwU

I miss Solus Linux and the Budgie DE btw :/
Heredos Heredos
Posted on 2022-08-02 18:51 Link | ID: 423
who remembers solaris btw?
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-08-02 22:21 Link | ID: 426
Huh, apparently Solaris still exists. I thought it died a long time ago, surely can't see much use anymore.
foodyummy foodyummy
Posted on 2023-01-02 00:43 (edited 2023-01-02 01:06) Link | ID: 612
Happy new year everyone!

Alright, so I'm considering switching to Arch, like you roller :LOL: I tried installing the OS previously but my hard drive was getting old and starting to fail :( so once the new hard drive ships I'm installing the system again.

I've done plenty of reading and I've been using linux for a while so maybe I know a tiny bit about what I'm actually doing!?!? but feel free to correct me on anything :)

But I've actually been meaning to ask for a while since I got back from my trip: do you folks have any recommendations for desktop environments, window managers, boot loaders, etc.? I was thinking about using LXDE (i saw you guys talking about it in the thread) with Openbox and GRUB, but is there anything that might be "better" so to speak?

Is there anything else I should keep note of before really diving into arch? I know a bit about how to use pacman and stuff, and I've attempted to use it to install the OS before my hard drive just started spitting out
(Input/output error)
and crap like that. Like, I know
pacman -Syu
and whatnot, but is there anything else I should know that I don't?

(Is this the first time someone's used code formatting in a forum post!?!?!?)

Thank you for your time :D
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2023-01-02 22:51 Link | ID: 613
Happy new year! Good choice with Arch by the way, ever since I switched to Manjaro (an Arch-based distro, later I jumped to straight up upstream Arch) I couldn't switch back to Debian-based distros with obsolete repositories and a frankly terrible packaga manager (unfortunately I still have to deal with it during development and managing servers >_< ).

As for DE recommendations, well, currently on my desktop I use KDE Plasma. But for my laptop and on VMs I generally use LXQt (not to be confused with LXDE which is obsolete and was forked into LXQt). KDE Plasma is certainly not the heaviest DE (especially with the compositor disabled) but I still want something smaller and more minimal on a system where I need to wrang out all the power I can or am constrained by disk or memory usage.

LXQt is... perfectly okay but as I mentioned before it feels a bit empty, for anything other than a VM or a decade old laptop I'd want to pick something different. Plasma I have no issues with and I can certainly recommend, though I certainly pick and choose components (e.g. I use Kitty instead of Konsole). plasma-meta is good in that regard because it's a metapackage that installs the Plasma desktop environment without much of anything else, so you pick and choose the system utilities you install in addition instead of having the entire KDE suite forced upon you.
j45 j45
so cute~
Posted on 2023-01-03 15:21 Link | ID: 615
i use arch too btw

i find desktop environments to be pretty bloat-y so i use awesomewm, which is a neat window manager
luatic luatic
Posted on 2023-01-03 18:36 Link | ID: 617
It's especially neat if it doesn't work out of the box >.>
j45 j45
so cute~
Posted on 2023-01-03 21:00 Link | ID: 618
*insert "works on my machine" emoji here*