Voxelmanip Forums
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-29 14:04 (edited 2022-07-29 14:05) Link | ID: 394
Why's everyone profile pictures have to be round nowadays? It seems to be the design trend for whatever modern site. Google used to make avatars square on their older generation of site designs, e.g. the pre-polymer YouTube design, but now they're round!

Now, I'm not completely dunking on border-radius in general, or profile pictures with the edges slightly rounded, in fact I even sandpaper off the corners of stuff sometimes:

But having it be completely round is absolutely stupid. My custom Discord CSS styling includes removing border-radius on profile pictures so it doesn't butcher mine or anyone else's profile pictures. Fits well with my monospace font too.

olive olive
Posted on 2022-07-29 22:07 Link | ID: 401
21% wasted space!
I like a tad rounding too, but often new sites go a little overboard.
For profile images the option should be there for different styles, like how Twitter decided to give a hexagon option… if you put your image in an… NFT…
Whatever happened to custom profile CSS

Another annoying thing is upscaling images, anything intentionally pixelated gets blurred.
IMO the best solution would be giving scaling methods in image metadata, but that's not a thing so sites should give an option maybe?
luatic luatic
Posted on 2022-07-29 22:36 Link | ID: 402
like how Twitter decided to give a hexagon option… if you put your image in an… NFT…
Are you sure Musk hasn't bought it yet ;)
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-30 01:18 Link | ID: 404
For profile images the option should be there for different styles, like how Twitter decided to give a hexagon option… if you put your image in an… NFT…
haha, Twitter being twitter.

Whatever happened to custom profile CSS

Another annoying thing is upscaling images, anything intentionally pixelated gets blurred.
IMO the best solution would be giving scaling methods in image metadata, but that's not a thing so sites should give an option maybe?
There is actually a way to switch the image interpolation to nearest neighbour using CSS (image-rendering: pixelated), but really the only sites I've seen that use it are autistic somewhat retro looking sites (read: this place) and it's not really a setting you could toggle anywhere. (you'd basically need your own userstyle)

Here, things like smileys, the logo and the footer badge are rendered pixelated, but avatars aren't because the majority aren't pixel art-y avatars and would look worse. However, you could set your own avatar to be pixelated by putting something like this into your post layout. The joys of CSS!
td.sidebar14 img {
image-rendering: pixelated;
}
olive olive
Posted on 2022-07-30 17:06 (edited 2022-07-30 17:06) Link | ID: 410
yeye that's the CSS I meant that we should have the option to toggle.
Hadn't thought of it being an issue here as images are shown at the true size in the theme I'm using… maybe I should add it incase other themes don't

Just looked at the MDN page and seems the option for using a pixel art scaling algo's been removed :(
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-30 17:27 (edited 2022-07-30 17:29) Link | ID: 412
Hadn't thought of it being an issue here as images are shown at the true size in the theme I'm using… maybe I should add it incase other themes don't
Yeah generally avatars are shown at the full size, but e.g. on mobile or if you're zoomed in it will start scaling it. It's not very noticeable though, but I tested with your pixel art avatar and it does in fact make it less blurry.

If you're feeling extra courageous you could even scale up a small pixel art avatar with CSS in your post layout... Like scaling it up to 128x128 :P
WonderWeeaboo WonderWeeaboo
Posted on 2022-08-02 00:31 Link | ID: 413
Something something sharp edges are bad for your psyche, so I've heard... I think may just be petty hipsterism but who knows, not a graphics nor an interior designer.

Personally don't mind round avatars and profile images, they have their charm, especially if and when the rest of the UI complements them.

What I really hate is wasted space, lack of contrast in fonts and important UI elements and blinding backgrounds.
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-08-02 03:09 Link | ID: 418
Rounded avatars are the least worrying thing about Material/Modern/Metro UI design these days...