Voxelmanip Forums
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-16 06:16 (edited 2022-07-16 08:59) Link | ID: 257
Not gonna lie. You worked so hard on this, fixing stuff up, making it all clean. Might be the first time anyone in AcmlmBoard history successfully decrapped it.

IMO, scalability is important, I imagine you plan to make this easily installable in future? Also to prevent bloat in the 'main' code, perhaps making stuff like the upcoming RPG system plugin based would be better?

The FAQ page should also be editable from the admin panel (and the actual link in the header moved further along) IMO like ABXD's plugin based one, though perhaps the categories and content could be dynamically generated and edited myBB style? Idk.

Atm I won't lie, the software feels like 'PunBB but in this day and age and looking really early 00s' and thats a compliment.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-16 20:37 Link | ID: 279
To be honest I've been kinda torn on what to do. I honestly don't feel like making a general purpose forum software which would compare myself not only to other Acmlmboards but also more professional forum softwares. But rather a forum where the forum software source code itself just so happens to be available and fairly usable if anyone wants to use it.

It's still more accessible than completely private forks such as AB2.064. And it is already rather easy to install, basically just "import the database schema and fill out the config file", something I would assume any budding forum owner would be able to accomplish... or I'd be worried for their forum.

Oh also, the FAQ page is already generated from an array which creates an automatic TOC and handles the layout and whatnot. I could totally extract it to its own file under conf/ if I wanted to but I like having it version controlled right now.
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-17 00:48 Link | ID: 292
Considering how I have never been able to install stock AB2 it is definitely worth having such a script around that effectively checks the server is able to run the board, generates a basic config, installs the schema and registers the first account.

Could also be useful for quickly updating the DB schema between versions too (oh and setting the correct collation and charset as MySQL/MariaDB is weird), as well as making sure certain functionality is automatically enabled/disabled depending on what PHP extensions are installed at install time.

Plugin system would just make it easier to maintain certain things like the RPG system, things that aren't going to be used on every board.

Dunno, it's weird but so many small sites targeted to people like us who are actively looking for "older" style communities just use generic shit like XenForo, which defeats the point of such a site especially if they update and try to modernise themselves for no reason other than "waa reddit did it!!!"