Voxelmanip Forums
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-15 17:09 Link | ID: 238
Spawned from >>231 et al. in the Internet Media Clusterfuck thread, gush about what wonders ffmpeg can do. :LOL:

ffmpeg is an extremely powerful command-line tool to manipulate any kind of multimedia formats you could imagine, whether it be video, audio or even images. You can quickly convert between formats simply by designating the file extension, compress and reencode videos, compose together videos from e.g. an audio file and static image, and pretty much anything else.

I genuinely can't stress enough how powerful ffmpeg is and how much it can do. You can even record videos using it, which is pretty useful since you have essentially full granular control over quality settings and can do stuff like recording close to uncompressed videos at minimal CPU overhead for whatever you're recording. And then you can process it into a significantly smaller file and quickly slap an audio file or even tracker song on top of the video, all using ffmpeg. 8-)
olive olive
Posted on 2022-07-15 18:01 (edited 2022-07-15 18:04) Link | ID: 240
magic runes. I have this saved in a shell script.
Converts videos to a very specific weird format for playing on the DSi.
Don't ask me how - magical black box.
ffmpeg -i "$1" -f mp4 -vf \
"fps=24000/1001, colorspace=space=ycgco:primaries=bt709:trc=bt709:range=pc:iprimaries=bt709:iall=bt709, scale=256:144" \
-dst_range 1 -color_range 2 -vcodec mpeg4 -profile:v 0 -level 8 -q:v 2 -maxrate 500k -acodec aac -ar 32k -b:a 64000 \
-ac 1 -slices 1 -g 50 "$2"

(though it was on one line before I wrapped it for here :P )
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-15 23:32 Link | ID: 246
Stupid question but why is ffmpeg called libav in some Linux distros? I presume MPEG LA hate boners led to it?
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-15 23:39 Link | ID: 248
ffmpeg is a command-line frontend that exposes the libav library which does the actual heavy lifting (akin to openmpt123 and libopenmpt). It was also briefly the name of an ffmpeg fork a decade or so ago.
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-15 23:44 Link | ID: 250
Yeah, I heard the fork story but didn't know much more about it than that.

Also what relevance is 'gstreamer', which going by the name is GNOME's creation (therefore it's likely shit), and its extremely oddly named plugin types. I see it a lot as a dependency.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-16 21:01 Link | ID: 284
The G in GStreamer stands for gay. :LOL: Jokes aside seems to just be GNOME reinventing the wheel and creating a hexagonal one, which is oh so revolutionary.

Seriously though it seems to have some different architectural design choices than ffmpeg, but beyond that it seems to have the same feature set. I guess there will be some unique upsides and pitfalls for both, reading about it makes me think GStreamer is easier to link to by programs than ffmpeg which... is a command-line tool, you'd rather want to link to the underlying libav* & co. libraries.