Voxelmanip Forums
Compa Compa
please just get off the internet already jamie
Posted on 2022-07-02 14:17 Link | ID: 128
Fun fact, 'handheld' in the context of CSS media queries actually pertains to the likes of J2ME browsers, devices like PDAs or systems otherwise typically running some kind of heavily stripped down, embedded OS.

Still, this board is prety usable! Gotta love Presto... (shame modern Opera is a typical Chinese Chrome clone)
Heredos Heredos
Posted on 2022-07-02 18:33 Link | ID: 130
From my experience, opera mini on j2me Seems to work pretty much the same as opera mini for android with extreme data savings enabled.
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-07-02 22:51 Link | ID: 131
I didn't expect anyone else to have tried it, honestly.

Also, that doesn't surprise me, as it's rendering pages server-side.
ROllerozxa ROllerozxa
Site Admin
Posted on 2022-07-02 23:04 (edited 2022-07-02 23:04) Link | ID: 133
Huh, does that old Opera Mini feature phone version really support modern encryption standards, or did you do some kind of proxy to go onto this site? lol ninja'd, that answers that...

Funny thing, a long while ago I played around with the Opera browser on an old Sony Ericsson J2ME phone we have lying around, trying to go onto websites with it and laughing at how badly everything fit on a screen that was literally only a couple ten thousand pixels in resolution. It's amazing how far the mobile internet has gotten, from WAP and the like on laughably tiny screens to near-desktop site experiences on large soap dish sized screens at high resolutions. :D

...You have to admit though, the mobile games back then were probably more fun, even though they usually were limited to being as small as 64kb(!) for widest compatibility. I'm too young to have experienced it myself back in the day (Android 2.x is basically the earliest I experienced), but I could at least look back on it with second-hand nostalgia with old feature phones lying around and J2ME emulators.
Heredos Heredos
Posted on 2022-07-03 08:45 (edited 2022-07-03 08:47) Link | ID: 136
it's funny that you say that because my first phone was my grandpa's sony ericcson 4530i that was already decades old.
then a friend lent me his mom's htc wildfire running android 2.2 (a trash for games since hardware acceleration came with android 2.3) that gave me the taste for abandonwares (i discovered apparatus on this very phone).
then i bought a 30$ samsung running kitkat (android 4 still is one of the best versions gui-wise imo).
then i got a few more recent phones that i all hated as long as they were not rooted.
i got an accelerated version of the great smartphone history
plus, on all of these phones i had an outdated opera mini version to be able to browse internet with my little 100mo of data
Compa Compa
Posted on 2022-07-03 10:04 Link | ID: 138
I once connected to an (unencrypted) IRC channel through jmIRC. Pretty interesting stuff. :P

Would be interesting really if someone went through and got a recent version of the GNUTLS library (or equivalent) working on MIDlets, though I doubt the investment is worth it these days...